Sunday, July 13, 2008

Remembering

Erin and I have been going through the book of Hebrews over the past 2 weeks. The book goes through the history of Israel to show them the path that God took to bring them salvation. The writer explains to them how the history their people went through pointed them to the One who would offer a perfect sacrifice and be their High Priest forever. Sometimes it does good to look back over life and see how God works. I am constantly amazed when I look back and see how God has used my past to mold me for today and tomorrow.
Erin and I have had the priviledge to be able to visit family here in Europe. We have gained great knowledge about our families and why our relatives made the move to America. On both sides times were tough here. They both left Europe with a hope of finding a better life for them and their decendants, a promise land. What if one of them would have chosen not to come? Erin and I probably would have never met, maybe would have never been born. What happened in the past effects what is today. Yesturday I stood in the very spot that Hitler addressed the troops at Zepelin Field in Nurenburg (forgive the spellings I dont have a dictionary handy). I thought how strange it was that one man could affect the world in so many ways. Even today Europe and the world is different because of Hitler. What we do, what I do, today could have lasting imprints that will affect tomorrow.
I have been so thankful for my cousin Nicolas in Switzerland and for Tony, Kathy, Ralph, and Tante Marie here in Germany. They have loved on us greatly and have truly made us feel as though we have been part of the family all along. I will miss them dearly and look forward to the next chance that Erin and I have to visit them.
It is good to look to the past to see where we are and where we are going.

No comments: