Thursday, May 22, 2008

Identity

As we continue to seek God in the beautiful Netherlands, the one thing that keeps weighing on my mind is who am I. I know my name. I know I am a child of God. I know that I am loved. What perplexes me is how in the world I have ripened to the age of 32 without knowing what truly defines me. I have been studying David Keyes over the past week. He says that identity is made up of four parts. One is morality. What morals define me as a person. What do I consider to be right and wrong. The second is models. Who do I aspire to be like? Who is my hero? Is he/she someone I can become? So many kids make musicians and athletes their heros, only to fail to become this unattainable person. When that happens a sense of identity is lost. The third is Dominion. Being able to overcome and master things. Whether it be meeting goals or deadlines at work or learning how to skydive. This also gives us indentity. Finally love helps to define our identity. These are things that I ponder on now as I try to find out who I truly am. Erin and I seek to find the identity that defines us as a couple. We have peace here and love the people at Labri. They are helping us to seek God and one another with peace in our hearts. We miss all of you and pray all is well.
God Bless, Jade

1 comment:

Carl and Marlene Kuhns said...

Hi Jade & Erin!
We have been praying for you and have been inspired by reading your blog that you are truly where you are suppose to be at this time in your life. Just take one day at a time and soak it all in. It sounds like it's beautiful there.
love & prayers
Carl and Marlene