Thursday, June 26, 2008

Constants

This is from Jade



As Erin and I get set to depart from Labri (only temperary since they have asked us to come back and help in the fall), I start to ponder what things were important to me before coming and what things are important to me now. I see that there truly have been changes in my life since coming here back in mid May. Some of which are temperary like me having long hair and a beard (I have not had a hair cut since March or shaved since mid-May), and some are more permanent such as the way I view and respond to liberal thoughts. Dont worry I have not sold my Republican membership, but I do not have the desire to approach liberal ideas with hostility any longer. Though there has been so many changes that have taken place I believe something that will also stick with me is how somethings remain constant no matter where I (we) go.

The first constant I see in our travel is God's beauty. No matter if I am in Eck en Wiel, Holland or Omaha, Nebraska I have found that the beauty of the creator exist no matter where we go. There is a jogging route that Erin and I have come to enjoy that takes us on the dyke of the Rhine River (not sure on Spelling of Rine or dyke but spell check is not working :). The views of the river bottom is absolutely spectacular. There flowers upon flowers here also. So much beauty that the eyes almost become sore from needing to use all of their senses continually to take in the beauty. I have learned that we are created in God's image and as mankind we attempt to create beauty to imitate God. The Dutch have apparently worked hard at this with their beautiful landscaping, windmills, and churches.

The next constant is that family still matters. I see the joy and simplicity in Gido's (Rob and Crista's 9 month old son) smile when his mother or father walks in. He knows that he is loved by his father and mother and does not question whether or not he will be safe and cared for. I see two families open sharing life together and openning up their arms to strangers. I see how we should be as a Christian family of brothers and sisters. Loving one another first but always willing to let someone else in. To let someone who does not know the love of our caring Father, come in and be fed and loved on. Why should I hoared what has freely been given to me? I should give as I have been given.

Finally the constant that remains wherever we roam is love. I thank God for the love and support of our families. I know that it there has to be some difficulties to let us stay away so long (we will not return until 12/16/08 now). Love is present wherever we go because the Father first loved us through His Son. All we have to do is express that love in return to Him and others.

No comments: